Day 1
This is it. Today I am re-starting my journey into Vipassana.
The first step I am told over and over again is: “sila” Pali for morality or right conduct.
The precepts are (from Wikipedia):
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking life
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking what is not given
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from unchastity
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from false speech
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from intoxicants which cause a careless frame of mind
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking food at the wrong time
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from dancing, music, visiting shows, flowers, make-up, the wearing of ornaments and decorations
- I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from a tall, high sleeping place.
I think it’s safe to say as a lay practitioner that the first 5 are good enough.
How can I implement them:
1. I can refrain from hurtful thoughts, speech and catch myself before they become actions. I can practice loving kindness and become more gentle. I can practice what Ajahn Brahm calls Kindfulness. I can make it a habit to only eat plants and meat only if it is offered to me.
2. This one is definitely about an attitude that is focusing on giving instead of taking and not just about theft. I can do more chores without being prompted “chop wood carry water” I can potentially volunteer. I can practice sympathetic joy instead of jealousy.
3. As a layperson, I can practice sex with a committed partner and not go overboard with *ahem* myself. This is a very difficult hindrance to deal with, I read that focusing on impermanence is one way to deal with sensual urges.
4. The entire path has to be geared towards honesty otherwise there is no point of the spiritual journey as it’s aim is the discovery of what is true, the Buddha did not mince his words on this topic. Don’t lie. Don’t be overly talkative. Right speech at the right time. Period.
5. For this one I can take my meds as they’re prescribed and avoid an excess of caffeine, drink alcohol rarely and don’t drink until drunk. I think this applies to pleasurable activities in general. Moderation, moderation, moderation.
This is day one 2-27-2021
Comments
Post a Comment